6/30/2012

Red Riding Hood Cape {McCall's 6446}


I tried with all my might to follow the direction of McCall's 6446 to create my red riding hood cape for the Christmas holiday last year.  While it might look lovely in these pictures and does resemble the pattern picture, it is a disaster.  Overall, the proportions are all off for my body.  It is too wide in the neck (as in my entire body could fit though the neck hole), too wide in the body, the arms holes are too low, and well did I mention it is too big?  There is so much fabric that I look like a big fat red berry.  Since the cape in theory should be functional, as in the buttons are used to put it on and off, I added lining to make it a bit more finished.  The pattern left this out of the garment and would have been a nice touch. 
 


I will not make another cape from this pattern; in fact, the pattern has already been throw into the trash and is happily decomposing.  I hated the directions, particularly how the arm holes/pockets (which I didn't add) are to be put in. I would not recommend this pattern to anyone.  I don't see how it can be successfully altered easily, so it would be easier to get a pattern that is better. 

I plan on taking this coat apart and using the fabric for a different coat. I've already picked one out.  The Burda Style babydoll style double breasted coat.  I think the buttons will  complement this coat in a fun way.  I really just hope there is enough fabric. 


No comments:

Post a Comment