6/09/2012

Knit Black Day Dress {Simplicity 2262}

After my first attempt at using the Simplicity 2262 pattern ended in a bit of disappointment, I decided to try again.  (You can see my disappointment posted here.)  I wasn't very hopeful that I would succeed in making something that I would actually like, but behold I have.  With the leftover fabric from the pant project, I cut to a size M the dress separate.  It turns out, a medium is way too big.  This is all my fault though.  I was a little lazy and didn't precheck my body measurement.  If I had, I could have resized the pattern prior to sewing.  I ended up having to cut nearly 4" off the top.  Taking in that much did cause a problem with extra small armholes and a neckline that doesn't exactly lay right.  I also cut 6" off the hem.  The hem became this short to accommodate the lack of fabric I had on hand.
 

The pattern is really easy to sew.  It is very basic and a novice sewer will feel quiet accomplished in making it.  The only difficult part is the actual finished edges.  In a recent blog hop, I came across these directions from The Snugbug on finishing knits.  I am now in-love with the product Steam-a-Seam.  Sorry for the endorsement, but I can't hide my excitement.  It made the hemline and armholes lay lovely and sewing the top stitch a breeze. No pins are involved!  This avoids puckering.  Steam-a-Seam is not necessary, I just found it very useful. 

I was a bit hesitant to see how the Steam-a-Seam would hold up with wear and tear. But it has held up wonderfully.  The pictured dress has been machine washed at least three times.  The hems are just like the day I put them in.  As you can see, I added a little flower bouquet detail on the bodice.  I will definitely be make more of this type of dress. 




2 comments:

  1. I have this pattern all cut out and ready to sew, I really like the added roses!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man. I need to make another one. I wear this dress all the time. So much that the black is fading. I'm kind of digging the jacket too. Best sewing!

      Delete