1/09/2013

Sparkly New Year Wish {McCall's 6604}

Pattern: McCall’s 6604
Version: View C with sleeves from View A
Sizing:  12
Fabric:  1 yrd sheer sequin with polyester crepe
Notions:  none other than thread, but duh
Assembly time: 4 hrs
Instructions:  sweet
Modification:  hid binding on inside of shirt
Recommend: YES

There is a happy tale for how I ended up with this fabric.  No, it wasn't passed down from generation to generation or found on a street corner for free.  There is a certain evil site out that that posts pictures of things people like. (It shall remain nameless to discourage the naïve from visiting and developing an addiction.  You are welcome.)  I have admired every sequin clothing picture that has been pinned and really thought I might buy some article of clothing.  So, while doing some holiday shopping I wondered over to the sparkles and instantly became disappointed.  First, the quality was less than tolerable and, let's be honest, slutty.  Secondly the stuff that was decent was expensive.  How many times will I wear a shiny shirt....umm a couple?


Naturally, the sewing bug brought me a bright idea...I would make my own. The only problem with this idea was finding the fabric.  I looked online but became scared because what if I ended up with crappy sequins?  Thanksgiving helped solved my dilemma because it meant a quick trip to NYC.  Paron's anyone?  Yes please.  I found the perfect black sequin fabric for a awesome price; two and half yards for less than 20 dollars.

So, I have the fabric in hand, but what pattern do I use?  Sleeves were a no go and darts would present themselves as a heavy mess.  So, I search the pattern stash and found McCall's 6604.  The one concern I had about this pattern was the pleats that form around the neckline.  I took a little swatch and stitched replica pleats deciding that it was ok, especially if I trimmed any excess sequin from the folds/stitch line.  I also decided that things would lay better if I cut sequins from the seam allowance. 

6604 with sleeve caps is great and so easy.  Without trimming the sequins, it would take two or so hours to make.  Without having a lining, it would take an hour.  Yep, the sequin material is shear so a lining was a must.  I used a thin polyester crepe of no importance for the lining which I simply cut the same as the shell and stitched it all so the seams faced the inside.  The edges were finished by using the salvage as the binding.  I deviated from the instructions and hand stitched the binding completely to the inside of the shirt, not only for the neckline but for the hem.  I also used the salvage to finish the sleeves.

Now, what do I do with extra sequin material...

2 comments:

  1. Great pattern choice for your fabric. Good job. I am curious to see what it looks like on you so I'm off to stalk your archives to see if you took a picture. I'm considering this pattern for a loudly patterned chiffon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I don't have a picture of it on. Sorry. I did use the same pattern for this shirt http://www.solittletimecrafts.com/2013/02/i-heart-shirt-mccalls-6604.html. Both versions wear well, though I do like the heart fabric better since it isn't as stiff. So, if I was to give my opinion, I think it would work great with a chiffon. Best of luck. One thing, check the length of the bodice. It seems a little short to me now that I have worn the shirts.

      Delete